Treatment Function and Main Specialty Standard
This information standard defines the Treatment Function and Main Specialty classifications used to support the national reporting and analysis of clinical workforce activity throughout the NHS.
About this standard
- NHS Digital
Show definitions of statuses
Active standards are stable, maintained and have been assured or endorsed for use by qualified bodies.
Standards in development are APIs or API standards in alpha or beta, meaning they are available for use but are still in progress and may change.
Deprecated standards are older versions of a standard which are being phased out.
Retired standards are not being maintained and should not be used.
- Standard type
- Data definitions and terminologies
Show definitions of standard types
Record standards define what information to collect and how to format it, for example when registering a new patient.
Data definitions and terminologies define the format of individual data items so they can be consistently represented, for example dates or medication names. Reference sets and controlled lists are also included.
Technical standards and specifications specify how to make information available technically including how the data is structured and transported.
Information codes of practice are legal or best practice guidelines on how information should be handled.
- Contact details
Link to standard
- View documentation for this standardopens in a new tab
(opens in new tab)
Topics and care settings
- Appointment / scheduling
- Clinical decision support
- Reference data
- Information governance
- Care setting
- Community health
- Mental health
- GP / Primary care
- Urgent and Emergency Care
Dependencies and related standards
No known dependencies
- Related standards
- DCB0011 Mental Health Services Data Set (MHSDS)
- DCB1513 Maternity Services Data Set (MSDS)
- ISB 0092 Commissioning Data Sets (CDS)
- DCB0092-2062 Commissioning Data Sets: Emergency Care Data Set
- ISB 0153 Critical Care Minimum Data Set
- DCB2212 Drugs Patient Level Contract Monitoring
- DCB3003 Patient Level Contract Monitoring
- DCB2050 Aggregate Contract Monitoring
- DCB2123 Patient Level Information and Costing Systems (PLICS) Data Set
- SCCI2026 Female Genital Mutilation Enhanced Dataset
- ISB 0112 Inter-Provider Transfer Administrative Minimum Data Set
- SCCI0034 SNOMED CT
- SCCI0021 International Classification of Diseases
Assurance and endorsements
- Reference code for standards issued as requirements in England
- Quality assurance
This standard was approved by the Data Coordination Board (legacy) and published as an information standard notice (ISN).
Page last updated: 22 November 2022