National Workforce Data Set
The National Workforce Data Set (NWD), which includes the NHS occupation codes, specifies the data standards to be used for NHS workforce information.
About this standard
- NHS Digital
Show definitions of statuses
Active standards are stable, maintained and have been assured or endorsed for use by qualified bodies.
Standards in development are APIs or API standards in alpha or beta, meaning they are available for use but are still in progress and may change.
Deprecated standards are older versions of a standard which are being phased out.
Retired standards are not being maintained and should not be used.
- Standard type
- Data definitions and terminologies
Show definitions of standard types
Record standards define what information to collect and how to format it, for example when registering a new patient.
Data definitions and terminologies define the format of individual data items so they can be consistently represented, for example dates or medication names. Reference sets and controlled lists are also included.
Technical standards and specifications specify how to make information available technically including how the data is structured and transported.
Information codes of practice are legal or best practice guidelines on how information should be handled.
- Contact details
Link to standard
- View documentation for this standardopens in a new tab
(opens in new tab)
Topics and care settings
- Reference data
- Care setting
- Community health
- Mental health
- GP / Primary care
- Urgent and Emergency Care
Dependencies and related standards
No known dependencies
- Related standards
- ISB 0028 National Specialty List16 National Specialty List
- DCB0011 Mental Health Services Data Set17 Mental Health Services Data Set
- SCCI1069 Community Services
- Data Set18 Community Services Data Set
- R00433 Workforce Minimum Data Set (HCHS) workforce Minimum Data Set (wMDS) for Hospital and Community Health Services
- R01010 Workforce Minimum Data Set (Primary Care) workforce Minimum Data Set (wMDS) for General Practitioners and Practice Staff
Assurance and endorsements
- Reference code for standards issued as requirements in England
- Quality assurance
This standard has been approved by the Data Alliance Partnership Board (DAPB).
Page last updated: 06 March 2023