Maternity Services Data Set
The Maternity Services Data Set (MSDS) is the national information standard for data relating to NHS-funded maternity services.
About this standard
- NHS Digital
Show definitions of statuses
Active standards are stable, maintained and have been assured or endorsed for use by qualified bodies.
Standards in development are APIs or API standards in alpha or beta, meaning they are available for use but are still in progress and may change.
Deprecated standards are older versions of a standard which are being phased out.
Retired standards are not being maintained and should not be used.
- Standard type
- Data definitions and terminologies
Show definitions of standard types
Record standards define what information to collect and how to format it, for example when registering a new patient.
Data definitions and terminologies define the format of individual data items so they can be consistently represented, for example dates or medication names. Reference sets and controlled lists are also included.
Technical standards and specifications specify how to make information available technically including how the data is structured and transported.
Information codes of practice are legal or best practice guidelines on how information should be handled.
- Contact details
Link to standard
- View documentation for this standardopens in a new tab
(opens in new tab)
Topics and care settings
- Reference data
- Care setting
Dependencies and related standards
No known dependencies
- Related standards
- SCCI1069 Community Services Data Set (CSDS)
- DCB0011 Mental Health Services Data Set (MHSDS)
- ISB0149-02 NHS Number for Secondary Care
- ISB0149 NHS Number
- SCCI0034 SNOMED CT
- SCCI0021 International Classification of Diseases
- ISB0092 Commissioning Data Sets (CDS)
- DCB0090 Health and Social Care Organisation Reference Data
- ISB1553 Read Clinical Terms Version 2 (Deprecated)
- ISB1552 Read Clinical Terms Version 3 (Deprecated)
- SCCI0075 Neonatal Critical Care Minimum Dataset
- ISB 1555 Birth Notifications
- DCB3017 Overseas Visitor Charging Category
- SCCI2112 FGM Risk Indication System (FGM RIS) - Local System Integration
Assurance and endorsements
- Reference code for standards issued as requirements in England
- Quality assurance
This standard was approved by the Data Coordination Board (legacy) and published as an information standard notice (ISN).
- Not applicable
Page last updated: 22 November 2022