Dictionary of Medicines and Devices
This information standard is a dictionary for use in the NHS of medicines licensed in the United Kingdom
About this standard
- NHS Digital
Show definitions of statuses
Active standards are stable, maintained and have been assured or endorsed for use by qualified bodies.
Standards in development are APIs or API standards in alpha or beta, meaning they are available for use but are still in progress and may change.
Deprecated standards are older versions of a standard which are being phased out.
Retired standards are not being maintained and should not be used.
- Standard type
- Data definitions and terminologies
Show definitions of standard types
Record standards define what information to collect and how to format it, for example when registering a new patient.
Data definitions and terminologies define the format of individual data items so they can be consistently represented, for example dates or medication names. Reference sets and controlled lists are also included.
Technical standards and specifications specify how to make information available technically including how the data is structured and transported.
Information codes of practice are legal or best practice guidelines on how information should be handled.
- Contact details
Link to standard
- View documentation for this standardopens in a new tab
(opens in new tab)
Topics and care settings
- Clinical decision support
- Reference data
- Tests and diagnostics
- Care setting
- Community health
- Mental health
- GP / Primary care
- Urgent and Emergency Care
Dependencies and related standards
No known dependencies
- Related standards
- ISB 0108: AIDC: Automatic Identification and Data Capture Anatomical Therapeutic Chemical (ATC) classification system
- ISB 1582: Electronic Yellow Card Reporting
- SCCI0160: Clinical Risk Management: its Application in the Deployment and Use of Health IT Systems
- SCCI0129: Clinical Risk Management: its Application in the Manufacture of Health IT Systems
- ISB 1552: Read Clinical Terms Version 3
- ISB 1553: Read Version 2 RxNorm
- SCCI0034: SNOMED CT
- ISB 1533: Systemic Anti-Cancer Therapy Data Set
- The Medical Dictionary for Regulatory Activities (MedDRA)
- SCCI1570: HIV and AIDS Reporting System (HARS)
Assurance and endorsements
- Reference code for standards issued as requirements in England
- Quality assurance
This standard has been approved by the Data Alliance Partnership Board (DAPB) and published as an information standard notice (ISN)
- Not applicable