Commissioning Data Sets
Commissioning Data Sets are patient level data sets intended to deliver robust, comprehensive, nationally consistent and comparable person-based information on hospital activity to support a variety of secondary use purposes.
About this standard
- NHS Digital
Show definitions of statuses
Active standards are stable, maintained and have been assured or endorsed for use by qualified bodies.
Standards in development are APIs or API standards in alpha or beta, meaning they are available for use but are still in progress and may change.
Deprecated standards are older versions of a standard which are being phased out.
Retired standards are not being maintained and should not be used.
- Standard type
- Data definitions and terminologies
Show definitions of standard types
Record standards define what information to collect and how to format it, for example when registering a new patient.
Data definitions and terminologies define the format of individual data items so they can be consistently represented, for example dates or medication names. Reference sets and controlled lists are also included.
Technical standards and specifications specify how to make information available technically including how the data is structured and transported.
Information codes of practice are legal or best practice guidelines on how information should be handled.
- Contact details
Link to standard
- View documentation for this standardopens in a new tab
(opens in new tab)
Topics and care settings
- Access to records
- Reference data
- Care setting
Dependencies and related standards
The standard predominantly, but not exclusively, relates to the following electronic information systems:
- Patient Administration Systems (PAS)
- Electronic Patient Records (EPR)
- Clinical and operational systems used in secondary care hospitals, such as dedicated maternity systems, radiology systems, pathology systems, etc.
- Related standards
- DCB0092-2062 Commissioning Data Sets (CDS) Version 6.2.2: Emergency Care Data Set (ECDS)
- DCB1069 Community Services Data Set (CSDS)
- DCB0011 Mental Health Services Data Set (MHSDS)
- DCB1513 Maternity Services Data Set (MSDS)
- ISB 0149-02 NHS Number for Secondary Care
- SCCI0034 SNOMED CT
- SCCI0021 International Classification of Diseases and Health Related Problems (ICD-10)
- DCB0084 OPCS Classification of Interventions and Procedures (OPCS-4)
- DCB0090 Health and Social Care Organisation Reference Data
- ISB 1553 Read Clinical Terms Version 2 (Deprecated)
- ISB 1552 Read Clinical Terms Version 3 (Deprecated)
- SCCI0075 Neonatal Critical Care Minimum Data Set
- SCCI0076 Paediatric Critical Care Minimum Data Set
- ISB 0153 Critical Care Minimum Data Set
- DCB3017 Overseas Visitor Charging Category (OVCC)
- DCB0028 Treatment Function and Main Specialty Standard
- DCB2094 Sexual Orientation Monitoring Standard
- DCB2050 Aggregate Contract Monitoring
- DCB3003 Patient Level Contract Monitoring
- DCB3002 Devices Patient Level Contract Monitoring
- DCB2212 Drugs Patient Level Contract Monitoring
- DCB0129 Clinical Risk Management: its Application in the Manufacture of Health IT Systems
- DCB0160 Clinical Risk Management: its Application in the Deployment and Use of Health IT Systems
Assurance and endorsements
- Reference code for standards issued as requirements in England
- Quality assurance
This standard has been approved by the Data Alliance Partnership Board (DAPB) and published as an information standard notice (ISN)
- Not applicable