Care Connect FHIR API standards
API standards using the Fast Healthcare Interoperability Resources (FHIR) standard for health and care data exchange in version STU 3 to create a unified approach to interoperability across England
About this standard
- In development
Show definitions of statuses
Active standards are stable, maintained and have been assured or endorsed for use by qualified bodies.
Standards in development are APIs or API standards in alpha or beta, meaning they are available for use but are still in progress and may change.
Deprecated standards are older versions of a standard which are being phased out.
Retired standards are not being maintained and should not be used.
- Standard type
- Technical standards and specifications
Show definitions of standard types
Record standards define what information to collect and how to format it, for example when registering a new patient.
Data definitions and terminologies define the format of individual data items so they can be consistently represented, for example dates or medication names. Reference sets and controlled lists are also included.
Technical standards and specifications specify how to make information available technically including how the data is structured and transported.
Information codes of practice are legal or best practice guidelines on how information should be handled.
- Contact details
Link to standard
- View documentation for this standardopens in a new tab
(opens in new tab)
Topics and care settings
- Care setting
Dependencies and related standards
- Related standards
The following published standards use this standard:
- Clinical Decision Support API standards
- Digital Child Health - FHIR
- Digital Maternity API standards
- Digital Medicine - FHIR
- Dose Syntax API standards (FHIR STU 3 version)
- End of Life API standards
- GP Connect Access Document - FHIR API - retrieve unstructured documents from a patient’s GP practice record using the FHIR standard.
- GP Connect Access Record: Structured - FHIR API - retrieve structured information from a patient’s GP practice record using the FHIR standard.
- GP Connect Appointment Management - FHIR API - manage GP practice appointments between different systems using the FHIR standard.
- GP Connect Send Document - FHIR API - send a PDF consultation summary to a registered GP practice using the FHIR standard.
- Interoperability Toolkit 3 Messaging Distribution FHIR API standards
- National Early Warning Score 2 API standards
- Transfer of Care Emergency Care Discharge - FHIR - create and transmit documents containing Transfer of Care information to support an emergency care discharge.
- Transfer of Care Inpatient Discharge - FHIR - create and transmit documents containing Transfer of Care information to support a mental health discharge.
- Transfer of Care Mental Health Discharge - FHIR - create and transmit documents containing Transfer of Care information to support a mental health discharge.
- Transfer of Care Outpatient Clinic Letter - FHIR - create and transmit documents containing Transfer of Care information following an outpatient consultation in a clinic.
Assurance and endorsements
- Reference code for standards issued as requirements in England
- None - not legally mandated
- Quality assurance
This standard was assured through the INTEROPen FHIR curation process. INTEROPen is a collaboration of individuals, industry, standards organisations and health and care providers. For more information relating to this assurance process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
For details of endorsements, please contact email@example.com.